The Certificate in Nonprofit Management (NPM) is offered annually in the Fall for 10 weekly day-long trainings. In 2019 the NPM program will be held at Elderly Services in Middlebury, VT and the Norman Williams Public Library in Woodstock, VT. Our renowned 80-hour series helps nonprofit leaders gain and refine the skills needed to strengthen their organizations and achieve their missions.
“[It] was a great fast track option for busy working nonprofit leaders. The information was practical, the connections helpful and the faculty very experienced. I have a much more complete skill set to bring back to my workplace along with a renewed confidence for tackling tough issues in the nonprofit world.”
Are you employed or otherwise involved in a nonprofit organization and eager to gain valuable expertise that will make your contribution more effective? Our renowned 80-hour series helps nonprofit leaders like you gain and refine the skills needed to strengthen your organizations and achieve your missions. The certificate course provides immediately-applicable training in the core competencies of nonprofit management. It is intended for people who want to make a serious investment in their not-for-profit careers. The program combines the best of face-to-face learning with ongoing discussion via online learning portals.
The certificate program is designed for active practitioners and leaders in Northern New England’s vibrant nonprofit community. To be successful in this program, participants must reserve ten days for the face-to-face workshops at the heart of the program. A 2018 schedule is included to show topics and the typical daily schedule. The Fall 2019 Schedule will be available soon.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Tuition for the Certificate in Nonprofit Management program is $1500.
Past participants have received financial assistance through VSAC’s Non-Degree Grant, and TD Bank’s Nonprofit Resources Grant. Former Americorps and VISTA volunteers may be able to use their Segal Education Award to offset tuition costs.
The Certificate in Nonprofit Management is a significant investment in your personal leadership capacity. You will reap the benefits, but so will your organization, your community and the nonprofit sector at large. We are grateful to the generous support of our funders who allow us to keep tuition reasonable: The Vermont Community Foundation and the AD Henderson Foundation.
The Center for New Leadership also offers a limited number of direct scholarships.
- “I came to Marlboro College’s nonprofit management certificate program with questions, and I left with a whole lot of answers. More importantly, however, I left with skills, tools and guidance to carry me forward in my chosen profession.”
- “It was a great orientation to the world of nonprofits. I left the course with a solid understanding of nonprofit organizations, and I feel confident in applying for nonprofit jobs.”
- “The Nonprofit Management Certificate Program was a great fast track option for busy working nonprofit leaders. The information was practical, the connections helpful and the faculty very experienced. I have a much more complete skill set to bring back to my work place along with a renewed confidence for tackling tough issues in the nonprofit world.”
- “I’ve waited more than a year for the opportunity to participate in this Certificate program. It was well worth the wait. Renewing my business knowledge, seeing my organization in a new light and finding or solidifying my personal goals were just some of the benefits for me.”
- “My job would have been easier having all this information from the start of our organization. Now, I have a plan and the tools to bring our organization to where the founder envisioned.”
- “This program gave me concrete tools to improve the operation of our board. I very much appreciated the expertise of the other members of the class and the diversity of the organizations represented.”
- “I found the certificate course enormously helpful. I’m a newcomer to the nonprofit world, and every class brought immediately applicable information. I can’t recommend it highly enough.”
A HANDS-ON CERTIFICATE PROGRAM FOR EVERYONE WHO WORKS WITH GROUPS
Do you want to improve your skills as a facilitator, trainer, or consultant? Would you like to learn how to design meetings and training experiences that powerfully engage diverse participants? Would you like to become more adept at managing groups…especially challenging groups facing difficult situations? Do you want to sharpen your insight and develop your portfolio of skills as a consultant?
Our Training, Facilitation, and Consulting Certificate Program is designed for experienced facilitators, trainers, and consultants, and also people who are moving into these roles.
Apply for the 2019-2020 TFC Certificate here.
We’ve designed this program for:
- Employees who provide training and capacity-building in their daily work
- Independent consultants – especially those working with nonprofits – plus people who are considering consulting as a career
- People who want to provide these services to their own organizations, networks, or coalitions
Our trainers are skilled at meeting the needs of a variety of learners and learning styles. You can expect a combination of instruction, exercises, small group work, writing, problem-solving, role playing, and skill-building games.
Optional graduate credit is available for a per credit surcharge. Please contact Kim Lier for more information about receiving 2 graduate credits for this program.
We will cover a variety of subjects, providing ample opportunities for you to practice, make mistakes, reflect, and improve your skills. You will learn how to:
- Understand different ways people learn and engage
- Design and run effective meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Assess and respond to simple and complex group problems and tasks
- Manage groups and group process; creating the conditions for groups to be productive and function at their best
- Build consensus and skillfully address conflict
- Consult with groups and build relationships with clients, partners, and peers
- Increase your confidence working with groups in any context
About 40 percent of our classroom time will be devoted to training, 40 percent to facilitation, and 20 percent to consulting. Through breakout sessions and individual coaching, we are excited to adapt the content to meet your specific needs and offer lots of tips and tricks from the trainer’s toolbox.
Here’s what the participants had to say:
“One of the most important investments I’ve made in my own professional development. I gained skills and knowledge that I could apply immediately. The one-on-one coaching and consulting is worth the cost of tuition!”
“Really broadened my understanding of group dynamics and how to approach unique situations with sensitivity and grace.”
“If you work regularly with groups, facilitate meetings, or want to train smarter, this is the (jam-packed-with-knowledge, friendly, and fun) course for you. And the trainers rock!”
“One of the best gifts I ever gave myself. Totally transformative.”
Our team of instructors and coaches has a combined 80+ years of relevant experience with nonprofits, government agencies, and corporate clients. Collectively, they’ve facilitated more than a thousand workshops, classes, retreats, planning processes, and community collaborations.