Website Center on Rural Innovation
About CORI and the VISTA Position
The Center on Rural Innovation (CORI) is a national nonprofit that empowers rural communities to build thriving digital ecosystems that help close the nation’s largest ever rural opportunity gap—a gap only threatening to grow due to the COVID-19 pandemic. CORI has a network of 20 rural communities nationwide, runs a seed fund that invests in tech startups in low-income rural areas, and uses data to surface the economic potential in small town America.
The Corporate Partnerships VISTA member will serve at the Black River Innovation Campus (BRIC), CORI’s pilot innovation hub based in Springfield, VT, which creates economic opportunity through technology skilling and entrepreneurship. At BRIC, the VISTA member will create fundraising partnerships with businesses willing to sponsor full-stack developer, data science, and remote work training for low-income Springfield residents—and commit to hiring them. These partnerships will ultimately serve as a model for scaling inclusive digital economic opportunity for low-income people across rural America—including caregivers and the unemployed who have not shared in the tech economy’s growth—who will be especially hard hit or displaced by COVID-19’s economic impacts. The VISTA member will be immersed in BRIC’s ecosystem through access to free housing within walking distance to BRIC’s coworking space and training facility.
To learn more about Springfield’s history and BRIC’s plan to reinvent its future, see this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxucf3kmxyvr1v3/BRIC_Teaser.mov?dl=0
In your cover letter, submitted through Workable, please note which VISTA position you are applying for (Corporate Partnerships VISTA or Cohort Development VISTA). Please make sure your cover letter also address the following questions:
- Why are you passionate about revitalizing rural America and rural economies?
- What inspires you to pursue national service opportunities through AmeriCorps VISTA? How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected your call to service?
- If applying for the Corporate Partnerships VISTA position: What skills and experiences do you have that will help you effectively engage businesses in providing support for tech training programs?
The deadline to apply is July 31, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position begins August 31, 2020 and are for a term of one year.
- 21 years of age
- Bachelors degree or higher
Desired fields of experience
- Business/entrepreneurial experience
- Community organizing
- Computer science / technology
Desired knowledge, skills, and attributes
- Passionate and demonstrated belief in our mission, vision, and potential to improve rural America through this social enterprise
- Experience in fundraising, business development and corporate partnerships (Corporate Partnerships VISTA)
- Experience in technology, computer science, and education (Cohort Development VISTA)
- Solid analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Intellectual curiosity, and ability to present complex ideas and analysis of ideas
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated ability to interact well and respect a diverse range of people, experiences, and constituencies
- Ability to be self-directed, as well as succeed and thrive in a collaborative team environment
- Effective verbal communication skills, including active listening, and public speaking
- Ability to serve comfortably in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to organize multiple tasks/projects, as well as prioritizing tasks
- Strong computer skills, including use of Google Suite, web based collaboration and project management tools, and virtual presentation platforms
- Having a car is also recommend for applicants to these VISTA positions.
CORI’s AmeriCorps VISTA members will receive free access to a spacious, shared apartment within walking distance to BRIC’s coworking space and training facility, as well as beautiful downtown Springfield. In addition, AmeriCorps VISTA members receive:
- Relocation Allowance
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Health Coverage*
- Living Allowance
- Professional Development Training
VISTA members at CORI will also receive regular on-the-job-training from experienced nonprofit employees, be connected to a national nonprofit with major institutional funders, and be a valued voice in CORI’s efforts to scale inclusive digital skilling programs across the country.
*For details about AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits, please visit http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) members bring passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve as a catalyst for change, living and working alongside community members to meet our nation’s most pressing challenges and advance local solutions.
AmeriCorps VISTA members build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities. AmeriCorps VISTA members serve full time for one-year terms.
For more information, visit https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CORI is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff and VISTA members with ongoing career development opportunities.