Website Green Mountain United Way
Reports To: Executive Director of GMUW
Green Mountain United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community. GMUW proudly serves Caledonia, Essex, Orange, Orleans and Washington Counties of Vermont through community impact initiatives, donor designations and collaborative partnerships to directly impact complex social issues and systemic challenges.
The Director of Development and Community Engagement is a proven leader in non profit fundraising and grant writing, volunteer engagement and communications. This individual will create and implement a fundraising and community engagement strategic plan to increase awareness and commitment to United Way’s mission, and grow revenue through traditional workplace campaign structures, foundations, special events, donor, major gift and volunteer relationships.
As a member of the leadership team, this person will work in concert with the Executive Director, Administrative & Data Assistant, Community Impact Team, and Board Committee’s to increase United Way’s influence and growth through agency financial stability and brand awareness.
This position calls for someone with a deep commitment to building supportive relationships that align with the mission of Green Mountain United Way through methods of cultivated relationships, communications, volunteer engagement and created content that educates, inspires, and drives individuals to take action.
- Design and implement a comprehensive annual campaign that consists of traditional workplace campaigns, individual and major gift appeals, direct and electronic appeals, in-kind donations
- Develop and nurture mutually beneficial partnerships with public/private organizations, business, foundations, major gift donors and individuals for sustained philanthropic support of GMUW’s mission and programs
- Manage the VtSHARES state employee annual campaign and provide direct support and guidance to the appointed members of the VtSHARES Committee
- Work in tandem with the Executive Director and Community Impact Team in researching and securing appropriate grants for GMUW initiatives
- Work in concert with administrative and accounting team members in managing donor database, creating quarterly and annual campaign and audit reports
- Work collaboratively with partnering agencies, including local and national United Ways, in shared messaging and campaign initiatives
- Lead, inspire and mobilize the GMUW Board of Directors to support campaign activities, donor relations and special events
- Develop and generate innovative content promoting the mission, work and current events of GMUW for multiple communication platforms including, email, social media, earned media and website
- Work in tandem with staff members and board committee members in creating strategic communication plans for increased public engagement, brand/initiative awareness and fundraising
- Provide a leading voice and representation of GMUW to donors and community partners through public events and social opportunities
- Manage and support annual campaign and community partner recognition event
- Manage and cultivate key relationships and sponsorships in support of special events, including United Way Day of Caring
- Assist in recruiting workplace volunteers for Day of Caring
- Provide a leading voice of inspiration to a diverse demographic to recruit and cultivate volunteers and future donors
TALENT AND CHARACTERISTICS
- A strong understanding of philanthropy, health and human service trends, and United Way’s mission and goals
- Effective and compelling public speaker
- Ability to present complex social issues to diverse audiences
- Ability to adopt the appropriate tone and voice of community, donors and volunteers through various types of communication
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated attributes of high emotional intelligence
- Ability to thrive in a strong team environment that values all perspectives, experience and balance of leadership
- Individual accountability, integrity and honesty
- Flexibility and willingness to take initiative in areas outside of regular responsibilities
- Strong ability to work with and support teammates
- Personal commitment to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion of all people as a fundamental belief in both work and life
- Bachelors Degree (preferred)
- 5+ years previous experience in development and communications management in the Non-Profit sector
- Demonstrated strategic planning with data driven results in fundraising and communications
- Strong written and verbal skills that communicate to and inspire diverse audiences
- Proficient computer skills in a Google Cloud Platform office, MS Office products, CRM or donor management systems, Mail Chimp and Canva
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite and Word Press desired, but not required
- Demonstrated grant writing ability
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in social media, email, and web based communications
- Demonstrated ability in managing diverse groups of people and initiatives
- Marketing/graphic design experience preferred, but not required
GMUW central office is located in Berlin, VT and offers an open working space with optional areas, including personal desk/space, to perform sedentary computer work. Work is performed primarily on-site with possible remote options when appropriate. Periodic travel to community and program sites throughout the Caledonia, Essex, Orleans, Washington and Orange counties is expected. Limited, periodic evening hours may be required for special or donor events, and community outreach.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
The position is an exempt, full time position with generous health care, dental and vision benefits, and retirement plan. Generous and flexible paid time off and holidays. In support of our mission, GMUW provides opportunities that promote wellness and personal development, including a half priced membership to Green Mountain Community Fitness, a premier full service fitness facility located upstairs from the GMUW office. Salary range is $65-70,000 annually based on experience.
Please send resume AND cover letter (electronic correspondence preferred) by January 2, 2023 to:
Tawnya Kristen, Executive Director
Green Mountain United Way
Attention: Tawnya Kristen, ED
652 Granger Road Suite 6 Barre, VT 05602
Green Mountain United Way values diversity, equity and inclusion in our hiring practices and in our work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com