Website Himalayan Cataract Project
HIMALAYAN CATARACT PROJECT
TITLE: Project Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
REPORTS TO: Chief of Programs
LOCATION: Waterbury, VT (preference for VT; Remote work considered for the right candidate)
Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) works to provide critical eye care services, training for health professionals, and enhanced eye care infrastructure throughout Asian and Sub-Saharan Africa. Thirty-nine million people are needlessly suffering from blindness worldwide, 18 million of whom are blind from treatable cataracts that can be cured with a 10-minute, $25 surgery. HCP has offices in Vermont and in the Washington, DC metro area, with programs in 7 countries on 2 different continents and an estimated 75 implementing partners.
Himalayan Cataract Project is expanding its team to meet new challenges, scale its work, and broaden its reach. We are seeking individuals with an aptitude for operating in growth environments with interest and/or experience in scaling systems.
Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) is looking to hire a US-based Project Manager to manage the HCP’s special projects, including the build and operationalization of an eye center in Ethiopia and the planning, creation and operationalization of Ethiopia’s first refractive surgery center.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Project Manager will lead the coordination on all aspects of HCP’s special projects. The ideal candidate will be US-based with Project Management experience in the international development sector. Experience with developing project work plans, managing a breadth of stakeholders, driving GANTT charts, and leading operational details preferred.
The Project Manager will be responsible for planning, overseeing, and leading various HCP special projects from inception and development through to completion. This includes the post-construction operations phase of an eye center we are opening and the development of a refractive surgery facility, both in Ethiopia. This is a mid-level role at the organization and requires interaction with a range of internal and external stakeholders, most often managing several moving project parts simultaneously.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Overall development of projects, project plans, monitoring of project plans and schedules, organizing and participation in project meetings, ensuring that deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor project plans and associated schedules
- Facilitate the definition of project scopes, goals, and deliverables
- Set milestones and deadlines
- Lead the development and review of project budgets, working closely with HCP Finance
- Track project performance and deliverables
- Schedule and lead project planning sessions
- Coordinate the team throughout all project management phases
- Ensure that all team members have the required information and resources to carry out their tasks effectively
- Manage project progress and adapting work as required
- Ensure projects meets both internal and external deadlines
- Manage relationships with contractors, donors, local stakeholders and government officials
- Oversee all incoming and outgoing project documentation
- Conduct project reviews and create related project reports for executive staff / Board / external stakeholders
- Lead project stand-ups and meetings
- Prepare necessary project presentation materials for meetings, donors, and other stakeholders
- Ensure projects adhere to client documentation requirements and all maintain appropriate documentation
- Regularly assess project changes, risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable
- Chair and facilitate meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members
- Perform any other relevant, project-related duties when needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3+ years of Project Management experience, preferably in the international development/ international humanitarian sector
- Strong computer skills including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of program/project management software
- Excellent problem-solving skills and good interpersonal skills to interact successfully with project managers, clients, and support personnel
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to manage high stress situations; works quickly and accurately under pressure
- Big-picture thinking and vision
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Strong time management skills, including the ability to multitask, set priorities and execute tasks efficiently and effectively
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel and Microsoft Project or similar technology
- Understanding of standard project and development lifecycles
- Experience compiling and following strict budgets
WORKING WITH HCP:
Himalayan Cataract Project is a high-energy and fast-paced organization. We work to change eye care in low to middle income countries with a firm commitment to eradicating unnecessary blindness and reaching the unreachable patient. We are a small team where everyone plays an important role and has an impact. We hire individuals who are professional, collaborative and creative thinkers with a passion for our mission.
We invite qualified candidates to submit a resume and cover letter. Please send materials via email to: email@example.com
Himalayan Cataract Project considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org