Website Institute for Sustainable Communities
The Budget and Operations Assistant is a member of the Finance and Operations Team and provides support to the Institute for Sustainable Communities finance, budget, and contract functions, as well as organization-wide operational and administrative support.
This position joins our growing team at a time of pivotal transformation for the organization, as we refresh our strategic plan with a renewed commitment to addressing the structural racism and income inequality in the U.S. and Asia that undermine efforts to build strong and sustainable communities and regions in the face of climate change. The ideal candidate will hold, and have demonstrated actions, illustrating this same commitment. This includes experience applying an equity-centered lens and anti-racist commitment to their work, and the motivation to operationalize equity within ISC and Finance & Operations policies and practices.
ISC is located in Montpelier, VT. This position will be hybrid in-office/work-from-home.
- Develop and deliver regular budget reports to leaders of general & administrative and programmatic leaders, including updating forecasts via ISC systems as necessary while providing ongoing compliance and monitoring.
- Act as ISC budgeting application champion, including entering budgets, updating forecasts, providing training and support to budget managers, and identifying improvements.
- Create and maintain time allocation guides and active project lists for all business units.
- Support new business development by conducting research and analysis to develop budgets and budget narratives for new proposals.
- Maintain an org-wide digital tools and systems inventory, provide training for new staff, and serve as point person for org-wide systems vendors.
- Provide initial level IT support and troubleshooting, serve as primary ticket manager for all staff, and monitor support provided by external IT vendor in conjunction with Senior Budget & Operations Manager.
- Maintain relationship with travel management provider, evaluate staff needs related to business travel, and provide travel policy trainings and guidance.
- Provide facilities management and leasing support for ISC’s U.S. based offices.
- In conjunction with Senior Budget & Operations Manager, develop templates, training, process and oversight for all organizational contracting and procurement; prepare invoices as needed.
- Coordinate annual business liability and other insurance renewal processes.
- Maintain organizational documentation and offsite storage unit inventory.
- Compile and/or complete necessary ISC management/governance documents required in the proposal process as requested by development staff.
- Maintain and/or update ISC’s registration on donor required sites generally required to support the proposal process.
- Compile and prepare corporate entity documentation in support of initial field office registration and registration renewals.
- Provide back-up support to other administrative support positions as necessary.
- As needed, assistant level support for Chief Operating Officer including credit card processing, scheduling, and notetaking.
- Provide administration for ISC’s expense management platform. Review all US based staff expense reports and submit for reimbursement.
- Provide support for ongoing project reporting including creation and review of financial reports, and compliance reminders.
- Review program team payment requests and coordinate with staff accountant on payment process.
- Assist finance and operations team members with audit preparation and other tasks, and maintain operational elements of ISC’s field manuals as needed.
- Assist in the preparation of USAID and other donor financial reports, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong research, analysis and budgeting skills
Excellent oral and written communications skills, particularly in cross-cultural setting
- Self-starter with ability to take initiative, work proactively and independently, as well as collaboratively when necessary
- Ability to interact positively and effectively with a diverse group of people while providing consistently excellent customer service enterprise-wide
- Ability to prioritize work assignments appropriately and manage pressure of conflicting demands
- Ability to perform responsibilities using an equity lens – understanding and working with diverse stakeholders with comfort and ease
- Highly analytical with excellent problem solving skills
- Work marked by a high degree of accuracy with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated values of equity and inclusion
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a field related to ISC’s work
- Two to fours years budget, operations or financial experience, preferably in a non-profit context, with emphasis on budget monitoring and development
- Proficiency with Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, etc.), Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience with Workday Adaptive Planning enterprise & budget planning software strongly preferred. Experience with Monday.com or equivalent project management tool a plus.
- Commitment to the ISC mission and goals
ISC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workplace. People from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.