Website NEK Collaborative
The NEK Collaborative’s (NEKC) mission is to improve the quality of life for all residents of the NEK through coordinated economic and community development. We create structures that bring partners together across service areas, sectors, municipal and political boundaries to provide solutions for the renewal of the Kingdom. We do this by building a common vision, supporting collaboration, and connecting people and projects to resources. More about the NEKC →
The Executive Director (ED), in partnership with the NEK Collaborative Board, works to achieve the organization’s mission through the strategic convening of community members, non-profit leaders, economic and community development professionals, and political leadership. The ED manages the finances, staff, and initiatives needed to enact NEKC’s mission. The ED ensures the NEKC’s sustainability by raising the budget and supporting the Board of Directors. The ED increases NEKC’s visibility by serving as the external face of the organization and developing partnerships. The position requires a passion for our work, significant capacity for marketing and fundraising, a strategic vision, and the ability to support the day-to-day operations of a lean and nimble organization.
Facilitate regional action planning:
- Work with the Board to identify priority areas for the improvement of the quality of life in the NEK
- Facilitate a community driven process to build a platform for action to address critical issues in the region
- Publish action plans, reports, and progress updates to keep people updated about the vision and progress towards it
Support collaboration between partners:
- Host a series of diverse, cross-sector, regional convenings to bring people together to support coordination and collaboration
- Facilitate sector-specific working groups that bring partners together to share plans, align efforts, and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Develop and maintain critical strategic relationships and participate in key regional and statewide networks to share work from our region and learn from others
Connect projects and partners to resources:
- Serve as project advisor to track project development and implementation and help secure funding for Task Force projects
- Make resource referrals for specific community groups, businesses, and individuals.
- Produce outreach materials to cross-promote and market resources available for business and nonprofits from local, regional and statewide partners
- Work closely with representatives of USDA Rural Development as well as other federal agencies to meet the NEK Collaborative’ s responsibilities as the lead community organization for maintaining the region’s REAP Zone designation.
Build a strong and stable organization:
- Provide logistical support to the NEKC Board by organizing regular meetings of the Board, developing meeting agendas, maintaining minutes, and supporting new board member recruitment
- Develop and monitor the metrics needed to assess the achievement of strategic and operational goals and objectives.
- Provide fiscal management including developing an annual budget, operating with the approved budget, providing regular financial reporting, and grant tracking.
- Design and implement a communications strategy to build awareness and visibility around the NEK Collaborative and its work
- Hire, manage, evaluate, and mentor NEKC staff members (currently 2 FTE including ED)
- Contract and manage any consultants completing work on behalf of the organization
- Provide organizational oversight for NEKC, including overseeing legal and insurance policies, human resources, office systems, and technology
- Serve as the external face of NEKC by building and managing relationships with strategic partners, the philanthropic community, media, and the general public
- Other duties as assigned.
- A passion for and deep familiarity with the Northeast Kingdom and its people
- A commitment to community-led planning and action
- Comfort and ease in diverse social settings
- Well-organized, high energy and self-directed work ethic
- Attention to detail
- Ability to listen to, synthesize, and contrast diverse points of view
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Fundraising & financial planning experience
- Understanding of social media and online tools that can strengthen community and economic development efforts
- An understanding of the critical stakeholder groups in the Northeast Kingdom.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant life experience
A minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role in human service/community development/community organizing or related field.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Send a resume, cover letter, and professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEKC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.