Website Shelburne Farms
Position Title: Staff Accountant
Supervisor: Accounting Manager
Employee Status: Year Round; Full Time
Location: Hybrid; VT with flexible in-office schedule after training is complete
Start Date: ASAP
Salary Range: $58,000 – $65,000
Who We Are
Shelburne Farms is an education nonprofit on a mission to inspire and cultivate learning for a sustainable future. We offer transformative learning experiences to help educators and students create a better world. Our home campus is a 1,400-acre working farm located on the traditional, unceded homelands—Ndakinna—of the Winooskik band of the Abenaki.
What We Do
Engage youth and people of all ages in learning experiences that inspire them to build just, diverse, resilient, caring communities.
Steward our working lands and heritage buildings as we embody values of place and community through caring for and sharing our natural, agricultural, cultural, and human resources.
Collaborate with educators and other local, national, and international partners to advance education for sustainability worldwide
Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Shelburne Farms recognizes that justice, equity, and access are central to sustainability. We are committed to translating these values into action across the organization by improving equitable outcomes in our culture, programs, and services. Shelburne Farms is working to create experiences of belonging for all, including BIPOC, LGBTQ+ communities, people with disabilities, and people of all economic realities. We are passionate about building and sustaining a diverse and welcoming working and learning environment for all program participants, guests, and staff.
Who We’re Looking for
Reporting to the Accounting Manager and working closely in partnership with the full Accounting / Finance team, the Staff Accountant will be an integral member of the team leading the payroll process, Cheese accounting, Fixed Assets, and other general accounting tasks involved in the monthly, quarterly and annual close process.
What You’ll Do
- Lead payroll processing, analysis and internal reporting with the help of Accounting staff
- File monthly and annual state and federal labor reports
- Compiling monthly inventory from Inn, Cheese, and Farm Store managers, producing monthly journal entries, inventory & sales reports
- Monthly reconciliation of business unit deposits, sales & receivables, bank statements
- Track Fixed Assets – Help designate which purchases are fixed assets, review & summarize at year end
- Process Dairy, Sales and Rooms & Meals taxes
- Work closely with the Director of Human Resources on systems integration
- Inn Accounting – Coordinate Inn/Program transfers, Daily Inn cash-ups, cash management
- Assist with grants management tasks and processes
- Support management’s requests for ad-hoc financial analysis of various areas of operation
- Assist with processing A/P & A/R as needed
- Supports the development of departmental annual budgets
- 4+ years work experience in varied accounting disciplines
- Demonstrated commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion initiatives.
Additional Valued Qualifications
- We seek a highly organized team player with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to show sensitivity to confidential matters.
- Has knowledge of commonly-used accounting concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving skills
- Proficiency in Quickbooks, Excel, ADP Payroll Software, Cloud-based POS Systems: Think Reservations, OrderBot, Square & Upserve are desirable
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position requires the ability to sit or stand at a desk for sustained periods of time.
- The qualified employee will work in a dynamic office setting, and interact with staff, consultants, and outside vendors, therefore he/she/they may be subjected to interruptions throughout the workday.
- Covid Safety: We recommend all staff be fully vaccinated. We require that all staff share their Covid vaccination status. If you are not vaccinated, then you are required to do routine testing and wear a mask at all times.
- We offer medical coverage with a Health Reimbursement Account, a Flexible Spending Account for medical and dependent care expenses, company paid long term disability, a 401(k) with the potential for company match and paid time off to recharge.
- Additionally, we offer a 30% discount on Farm products.
Deadline to Apply
Applications will be reviewed as received until the position is filled.
Please submit your application to the Shelburne Farms Hiring Team at [email protected], with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.
All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential.
Submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, address:
- How do you best learn new information?
- How do your experiences, values, and/or efforts demonstrate your commitment to the values of diversity, justice, and equity?
Shelburne Farms is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences are strongly encouraged to apply. The duties and responsibilities described herein are not intended to be a complete and comprehensive list; additional tasks may be assigned to this position from time to time, and the scope of the position may change based on operational demands.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com