Website Southern Vermont Natural History Museum
The Southern Vermont Natural History Museum is seeking a Communications Coordinator to provide administrative support for operations, fundraising, and communications for our growing nonprofit. This position will be on the front-lines of communication with the public via answering the phones and emails, coordinating programs with the Managing Director, and running the Museum’s social media accounts, with assisting in several other fundraising, marketing, and donor-centered projects. While the position will be half-time in 2021 and 2022, it could grow into full-time work in the future if adequate funding is available.
The Museum’s mission is to inspire stewardship and appreciation of the natural world through engaging educational experiences. We do this through education programs based on the museum’s collections and non-releasable animal ambassadors, both on site and in the region’s schools, libraries, and other venues. Our vision is a community committed to a life-long personal relationship with nature and environmental conservation.
The position is at the Museum’s physical location in Marlboro, Vermont.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Manage social media calendar and create content
● Develop website content as necessary and keep online calendar up-to-date
● Handle visitor questions and requests through answering phone and emails
● Maintain volunteer database
● Publicize programs, classes and speaking engagements through digital marketing platforms and social media
● Assist with monthly Mailchimp newsletter
● Assist with crowd-funding projects like GoFundMe fundraisers
● Help maintain Little Green Light database to track charitable gifts
● Promote Museum via press releases, print media, etc.
● Work with Managing Director to schedule off-site and on-site programs
● Assist Executive Director with invoicing and keeping track of expenditures
● Keep office organized and neat
● Open and/or close the Museum when schedule allows
● Some opportunity for limited animal care may be available
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant skills and experience
● Strong written and verbal communications skills – both listening and expressing
● Strong organizational and time-management skills when faced with multiple tasks, with high attention to detail
● High level of integrity and professionalism. Professional work habits, e.g. punctuality, reliability, personal initiative, collegiality, sense of humor, etc.
● Ability to work both collaboratively and with minimal supervision
● Friendly, inclusive customer service presence
● Interest and commitment to SVNHM’s mission
● Strong interpersonal skills to interact with staff, volunteers, and visitors
● Ability to think out of the box and find creative solutions when needed
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
● Experience creating content for and managing a company or organization’s social media platforms
● Personal passion for the natural world
● Experience working for not-for-profit organizations
● Experience with Mailchimp e-newsletters, Wix website management, and Little Green Light
● Knowledge of basic accounting. Quickbooks experience is a plus.
● Remaining stationary for extended periods of time while using a computer
● Frequent communication (speaking and hearing) and information exchange on phones and in-person
● Ability to walk up and down stairs
Compensation and Hours:
$20/hour, 20 hours a week. Work schedule will be 4-5 days, including Sundays and Mondays, specific hours to be worked out with the applicant.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume (as attached documents) to Ed Metcalfe, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Please put “Communications Position” as subject line. All applicants will receive a response; if you do not, please re-send your application. Questions regarding the position may also be directed towards this email; no phone calls please. The position will be open until filled.
SVNHM is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org