Website The Janet S. Munt Family Room
Family Strengthening Worker / Clinic
The Janet S. Munt Family Room is located in the old north end of Burlington in Chittenden County. The Family Room is a Parent Child Center that supports young children and their families and helps the community to become healthier and stronger.
We are seeking a Family Strengthening worker(FSW) to support our community-focused Family Room programs.
The FSWs will support The Building Strong Families Clinic program designed to give parents and children of immigrant families a comfortable and secure place to be their authentic selves with health care providers.
The Family Room and The Building Strong Families Clinic work together to provide medically and culturally relevant support to immigrant families in Chittenden County. The FSWs are able to act as liaisons to medical and other social service providers.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements
- Greet and welcome families/visitors, helping them navigate through the clinic
- Facilitate communication and coordinate services between parents/family and medical providers
- Provide interventions with families as needed to empower them to obtain necessary services and guides parents through completing paperwork as needed
- Help to serve as a cultural broker in relaying content and engaging participants in questions and discussions between parents/family and medical providers
- Help families utilize community resources and inform them of Family Room services and program and assisting with completion of applications for programs for which they may be eligible
- Teaming with pediatric physicians, the FSWs serve as a family educator for co-facilitate developmental screening and group instruction on culturally competent parenting and child development topics
- Work collaboratively and effectively within a team
- Work closely with medical providers to help ensure that parents/family have comprehensive and coordinated care plans and assist patients in understanding the care plans
- Establish positive, supportive relationships with parents/family and provide feedback
- Delivering health information using culturally appropriate terms and concepts
- Responsible for providing consistent communication to the Medical provider to evaluate patient/family status, ensuring that provided information, and reports clearly describe progress
- Provide support and ongoing follow-up with parents/family members
- Help the families as needed to navigate the medical and social service systems and provide health screenings, referrals and information
- Make referrals to other services as needed and work with other community providers to provide collaborative services to the families
- Translating and interpreting for families and health care service providers
- Maintains regular communication with team members (physicians, nurses, social worker, etc.) who also work with the parents/family
- Maintains familiarity of community events and resources that may be beneficial for families and makes appropriate recommendations
- Assist with the evaluation data collection
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty at a satisfactory level. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
The ideal candidate will be someone who is excited about the Family Room’s mission as a Parent Child Center, a familiarity with community resources for children and families, experience providing services to immigrants and culturally diverse populations preferred and work effectively as a team member. Kirundi and Swahili language users preferred.
Working Conditions & Compensation
Work is primarily performed in an office environment and work schedule is approximately 12 hours per week. The salary offered will be $21 per hour and benefits packages are available.
How to apply
Please send a detailed, personalized cover letter and resume to our Executive Director, Josh Miller, at [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit www.thefamilyroomvt.org.