Website Vermont Adult Learning
Job Description for the Executive Director of Vermont Adult Learning
Vermont Adult Learning’s mission is to create an innovative, inclusive and equitable learning environment that provides personalized opportunities for education and career development for Vermont residents by building relationships, strengthening communities, and fostering life-long learning.
The Executive Director provides visionary leadership to guide Vermont Adult Learning through a rapidly changing and uncertain environment. The Executive Director oversees the organization’s administration, programs, and strategic plan with a statewide reach, a budget of over $5 million, and a staff of approximately 80. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, community outreach, and advocacy. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Provides inspirational leadership and direction to the Vermont Adult Learning board, staff, and volunteers. Works with board and staff to ensure the mission is fulfilled through ongoing program excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent financial management and administrative system quality.
- Responsible for strategic planning and implementation of a performance-based management system to ensure that Vermont Adult Learning can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for enhancing Vermont Adult Learning’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations to promote the organization’s mission, including advocating for policies that further the goals of Vermont Adult Learning. Develop strategic partnerships that promote the organization’s sustainability.
- Develop and expand financial and other resources sufficient to ensure the organization’s financial health. Maintain Vermont Adult Learning’s fiscal integrity by ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Oversees the fiscal responsibilities of grants management and the effective administration of Vermont Adult Learning operations, including accurate and timely reporting to funding sources and partners.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director must be thoroughly committed to Vermont Adult Learning’s mission and have a solid understanding of Adult Education and workforce development
The Executive Director should have proven leadership, coaching, relationship management experience, and fiscal management skills. Concrete, demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Ability to convey a vision of Vermont Adult Learning’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate effectively with funders, legislators, policymakers, and other key stakeholders to promote the mission of Vermont Adult Learning.
- Strong public speaking ability and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff, and to promote staff development efforts.
- Proven organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Solid, hands-on budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, staff, volunteers, and partner organizations.
- Commitment to racial equity, as well as other forms of educational equities around class, ability, language, gender, and sexuality.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree with five or more years of transparent and high-integrity nonprofit management experience.
- A demonstrable connection to Vermont is preferred.
- Provide visionary leadership to enable Vermont Adult Learning to thrive in an increasingly uncertain and unstable funding environment.
- Planning and operation of the annual budget.
- Ensure the establishment of employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and the day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Serve as Vermont Adult Learning’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the public.
- Establish and maintain relationships and partnerships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to enhance Vermont Adult Learning’s Mission strategically.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions and fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of Vermont Adult Learning throughout the State.
Inform marketing, branding, and other communications efforts to position the organization to address the challenges of a rapidly changing educational environment.
Review and approve contracts for services.
Working Conditions & Environment: May require working some weekend and evening hours. Travel will be required utilizing personal transportation. Requires reliable transportation with valid driver’s license and insurance.
Criminal Background Check and Mandated Reporting: Vermont Adult Learning is committed to the safety of our students and staff. A confidential, national criminal records check as well as a check against the Vermont Child Abuse and Neglect Registry will be performed on all applicants offered employment. Continued employment is subject to the final determination reached based upon the results of these checks.
All Vermont Adult Learning staff are required to be familiar with Vermont’s Mandated Reporter law.
Benefits: In addition to a competitive salary, Vermont Adult Learning offers the following excellent benefits – premiums based upon employee’s work schedule:
- Medical insurance, including family plans and plans with employer contributions to a health reimbursement account (HRA).
- Dental Insurance
- Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance are available at no cost to the employee.
- Flexible Spending/Dependent Care Benefits
- Vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan with immediate vesting and organization match of up to 4% after six months.
- Generous paid time off includes: Combined Time Off (vacation and sick time) which increases with years of service, 11 paid holidays each year.
Starting Salary: Salary based on education and experience
Application Deadline: Please send your resume and cover letter to Rebecca Campbell, Human Resources Director, [email protected]
Vermont Adult Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY – Commensurate with experience and other qualifications. The benefits package includes health and paid time off.
To apply for this job please visit vtadultlearning.org.