Website Vermont Garden Network
Length of position: March – October
Hours: Total weekly hours for this position averages to 8 hours per week and may fluctuate between 6 to 10 hours per week. Activities will be scheduled during weekday evening hours between 4-7pm, typically 1-2 evenings per week, primarily from April-June. The workload during the month of May will likely be close to 15 hours per week and will include some Saturday morning commitments. Candidates must be available in these time frames to be considered for this part-time, seasonal position.
Position Summary: Vermont Garden Network oversees a management and support system to deliver garden education programs at selected housing sites, working with residents and housing management to enhance food gardens, provide garden leadership and management support, and teach gardening and related skills tailored to meet the needs of each site. The Regional Garden Coordinator reports to the Garden Education Manager at VGN and works closely with Property Managers from Addison Housing Works to provide support for community gardens at six housing sites in Addison County (Middlebury, Vergennes, Waltham).
- Attend a VGN training for regional garden coordinators
- Participate in bimonthly check-ins with VGN staff & other regional garden coordinators over Zoom or in person
- Maintain ongoing communication via phone and email with property managers and work collaboratively to facilitate programming and site-specific needs
- Participate in community outreach efforts and communication strategies to actively engage resident gardeners
- Coordinate Garden Openings Days in May to welcome returning & new resident gardeners and Garden Closing Days in October to put the gardens to rest
- Lead monthly hands-on workshops at housing sites on topics such as: garden planning, pest management, trellising tomatoes, seed saving, succession planting
- Support residents in-person during site visits, as well as via email and phone, with gardening questions, demonstrate best practices in organic backyard gardening, and share resources
- Coordinate garden maintenance activities as needed throughout the season
- Document activities in a timely manner through photographs, testimonials, and activity logs
- Complete weekly reporting requirements and maintain open communication with the VGN Garden Education Manager and Addison Housing Works Property Managers.
Skills & Qualifications
- Interest in organic vegetable gardening, food justice, garden education
- At least two full seasons of growing organic vegetables in Vermont or similar climate
- Experience and confidence facilitating group activities, workshops, and community gatherings for individuals of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Ability to clearly, effectively, and regularly communicate via email and phone with VGN staff, property managers and resident gardeners
- Proficient in Google Workplace, including word processing documents and managing spreadsheets
- Quick learner, able and willing to work independently to deliver garden education programming
- Practical experience in food preservation and/or herbalism is a plus
- Personal transportation is required to drive to garden sites in Addison County (Middlebury, Vergennes, Waltham). A mileage stipend is provided.
Application deadline: February 23, 2024
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume and one professional reference to: Carolina Lukac, Co-Executive Director of Programs & Partnerships, [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit vtgardens.org.