Website Vermont Interfaith Action
Vermont Interfaith Action is a grassroots network of clergy and faith communities across Vermont working to improve the quality of life of all Vermonters by addressing social justice issues through systemic change. VIA is seeking a Community Organizer to coordinate our Bennington chapter and build out a chapter in Rutland county.
The organizer will engage and develop clergy and grassroots community leaders to shape public policy in areas of social concern affecting their communities. Vermont Interfaith Action is an affiliate of the Faith in Action (FIA) National Network, the largest network of faith-based community organizing federations in the country.
- Build relationships through one-to-one conversations with faith leaders, clergy and community stakeholders on a consistent and regular basis.
- Develop leaders to build organizing teams with the power to win policy changes.
- Mobilize grassroots community leaders to lead social justice campaigns.
- Expand VIA’s base through recruiting new clergy, congregations, and community stakeholders.
- Incorporate Faith in Action’s model of organizing into day-to-day work activities.
- Participate in national network professional development activities as required.
- Participate in fundraising and administrative activities as required.
- Deep interest and commitment to community and social justice issues.
- Strong relational skills and ability to connect, engage and inspire community members.
- Capacity to think strategically and analytically about issues impacting communities.
- Respect for and ability to work with diverse faith communities.
- Commitment to bottom-up organizing, grassroots leadership and collective decision-making.
- Must be a self-starter, able to work independently, as well as a team-player.
- Desire to learn and openness to challenge yourself and others.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Previous organizing experience (union, labor, voter, political campaigns) is a plus.
VIA has a strong learning culture which includes weekly development sessions, monthly staff meetings as well as annual FIA regional and national training. We place a high priority on personal learning, relationship building and creating a respectful multi-faith organization. This position is part-time (averaging 20 hours per week) with some travel, nights and weekends involved.
VIA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive office culture. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, or prior involvement in the criminal justice system.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include employer paid medical (including dental and vision) insurance; 401(k); and generous vacation, holiday and sick leave. Applications accepted until position filled.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] Please include in the subject line of the email: your last name and VT Organizer. Please indicate where you learned of this position in your cover letter.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org