VTDigger is a nationally-recognized, born-digital nonprofit news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting, nitty-gritty approach to local and state news, and our entrepreneurial model.
At a time when the commercial local news industry is failing, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations in the nation that has developed a promising model of sustainable funding for journalism.
We have a startup ethos and a deep commitment to our mission, which is to shine a light on problems that have an impact on Vermonters’ lives by exposing the truth, cutting through the noise of echo chamber spin and reviewing the actions of public officials.
VTDigger provides regional coverage of the state, and we are poised to ensure that readers in every community in Vermont get the coverage they deserve as the local news landscape continues to diminish.
Monthly readers: 700,000
Annual Budget: $2 million
For more: visit our About Page
VTDigger has experienced steady growth in the 10 years since our founding. As a result of the Covid-19 crisis, we have seen unprecedented demand for our public service:
- Monthly readership has doubled in the past six months. VTDigger now serves an average 700,000 unique readers each month.
- Email subscriptions have increased by 50 percent. About 44,000 people receive VTDigger in their inbox every day.
- Member support has doubled since March, including monthly support. Membership stands at over 8,000 people, with about 1,900 monthly members.
The major gifts officer will execute the organization’s individual giving fundraising activities and build a portfolio of major donors through the four stages of research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. The primary responsibility of the major gifts officer is to execute the organization’s major gifts fundraising activities, including VTDigger’s $6 million current use campaign.
- Manage relationships with individuals in a robust portfolio of major gift donors and prospects, conducting a minimum of 50 donor visits per year.
- Carry out face-to-face solicitations and other direct engagement with donors and prospects, and support the fundraising efforts with the executive director and high‐level volunteers, including the board of trustees.
- Manage donor correspondence and maintain responsibility for developing messages, strategy memos, talking points and donor engagement materials.
- Track and report on progress toward goals including contacts, proposals, gifts, pledges and cash‐flow projections.
You report to Chief Revenue Officer Jim Lehnhoff
You will work closely with VTDigger’s Grants and Communications Manager and Membership Coordinator.
VTDigger’s org chart: here
This role involves close collaboration with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees and key volunteers in the community.
Location: Montpelier, VT
Start date: Dec. 15, 2020
Salary range: $70-80K with benefits
Montpelier is a charming New England town located in Central Vermont near world class alpine and nordic ski areas, hiking trails, lakes and rivers. The region has excellent schools, several local bookstores, many coffee and pastry shops, dozens of maple sugar operations and the ability to live in an intimate beautiful state capitol with an arts college just up the hill.
This role is a fit if…
- You’re a news junkie who cares about the future of civic journalism in the U.S.
- You have significant experience in major donor fundraising. Knowledge of Vermont’s philanthropic community and regional and national funders is a plus.
- You have experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts from $10,000 to $1,000,000
- You are problem-solver and a closer with creative and analytical thinking skills
- You have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills as well as organizational and time management skills
- You thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment and handle pressure well
- You have a high level of proficiency with best practices in nonprofit fundraising and experience with donor databases (Salesforce desired)
- You have a firm commitment to diversity: a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, nationality, religion, ability, involvement with the criminal justice system, and socioeconomic circumstance
How to Apply
Please answer the following questions and upload a resume using this form. Please note, we use resumes primarily as a summary and will focus our attention on the question responses.
Application deadline: November 15, 2020
We recognize there are great candidates who may not fit the description above or who have important skills and experiences we haven’t thought of. If that sounds like you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us more about yourself. VTDigger is committed to constantly improving our organization, in part by better reflecting the communities we serve. We are dedicated to creating an inclusive workplace for those of all ages and backgrounds. We especially encourage members of communities that are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply to join our team, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and differently abled people.
To apply for this job please visit airtable.com.