Website Burlington City Arts, City of Burlington
Burlington City Arts (BCA) is seeking an experienced development director to join a dynamic arts leadership team in the heart of the City of Burlington, Vermont. This position opens at a dynamic time for the arts in this region and the City of Burlington. For more than 40 years, BCA has worked to make the arts accessible to a broad community through its relationships with donors at many levels.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the arts and BCA’s mission, a fast learner, have a track record of success in multiple fundraising categories, have experience managing staff to meet development goals, enjoy creating new community relationships, have excellent written and oral skills, and be experienced using donor database systems. Knowledge and background in the arts is a plus and desire to build a healthy, vibrant community through the arts a must. The position offers excellent benefits and the opportunity to join a great team in one of the best cities in the northeast.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: May 27, 2023
As part of BCA’s senior leadership team, this position is responsible for designing and implementing the development plan, direct fundraising, development marketing, volunteer supervision and assistance in long range planning to support BCA’s annual and capital fundraising efforts. In addition, this position is responsible for managing and coordinating development activities and services provided by Burlington City Arts serving the greater Burlington cultural community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and assess progress of fundraising campaigns and report recommendations to the Director and the Development Committee.
- Strategize, implement and oversee annual development plan including major gift program, annual appeals, corporate solicitations, grant writing and special events.
- Make recommendations regarding the development of the annual department budget and work with staff leadership team to establish strategic planning initiatives and long-term projections.
- Work closely with board members, volunteers and the Executive Director to deploy annual plan activities and coordinate their participation in meetings and events.
- Oversee and implement the major gift program, including prospecting, cultivation, solicitation, and relationship management. Manage a portfolio of major donors and provide support to Executive Director, board members, and program staff as necessary.
- Network within the community to develop relationships on behalf of the organization and pursue financial and in-kind support.
- Work with Executive Director and communication team to design collateral materials and campaign messaging for development activities.
- Oversee the research of corporations, foundations and government agencies that provide resources to the arts.
- Oversee the creation of grant proposals and ensure that deadlines for submission and reporting are met.
- Oversee the development and implementation of direct mail and digital campaigns and ensure that every donation is acknowledged in writing in a timely manner.
- Oversee quality of database(s), and analyze fundraising efforts.
- This position supervises the Development Coordinator position and directs the Marketing & Sponsorship Support Specialist’s fundraising-related activities.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and 3-5 years experience in development, sales or fundraising required.
- Extensive knowledge of the arts and cultural activities desired, preferably in the greater Burlington area.
- Experience working with CRM software required.
- Ability to write clearly for various purposes, from thank you letters to grant proposals to formal gift acknowledgement.
- Proficiency in keyboarding and intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to work in PC format with knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, required.
- Ability to professionally represent City Arts and the City of Burlington inside and outside of City Hall.
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.