2022 Nonprofit Wages & Benefits Survey & Report
Hiring and retaining great workers is one of the biggest challenges we face as nonprofits. That’s why Common Good Vermont partners with NH Center for Nonprofits and Maine Association of Nonprofits to collect the latest data on wages and benefits from our tri-state area. Each state produces a state-specific report on Wages and Benefits based on the data collected in this survey.
The Report tells an important and deeply informative story about the health and viability of our sector including best practices to help you make decisions in your organization.
In Vermont, our nonprofit sector employs about 69,000 jobs which translates to 1 in 7 workers. We contribute about $5.7 billion per year to the economy through wages paid, retail and wholesale purchases and professional service contracts. Understanding how our sector is changing is an essential step in planning for what comes next for nonprofits, our people, and our communities.
About the 2022 Survey of Nonprofit Wages + Benefits
The 2022 survey is open for participation and the deadline to participate has been extended to June 30th, 2022 by 5PM EST.
- Why participate? People power our missions! To attract and retain talent, nonprofits need to set competitive wages and benefits, especially in today’s tight market. By sharing their data, organizations ensure we all have a timely, reliable source of information about workforce and compensation trends, and then together we can build more competitive and equitable compensation practices that reward people for investing their time and talents in our missions. Plus, participants will receive the 2022 Report for FREE this Fall/Winter ($125 value)!
- Who can participate? Any 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 501(c)(5), or 501(c)(6) organization based in or with paid staff working in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont. Only one person per organization should complete the survey. All-volunteer organizations can still get credit for participating in the survey by completing the first section.
- Is this survey confidential? Identifying information is kept separate and only used to prevent duplicate submissions, determine participation discounts, and contact you should we have questions about your survey responses.
- How long will it take? It will take approximately 30 minutes to enter data into the online survey, assuming you’ve already gathered all of the required information on the preparation checklist. How long it takes to gather the data will vary depending on the size of your organization’s budget and staff.
How to Participate in the Survey
- Identify who will take the survey on behalf of your organization – one response per organization.
- Prepare – download the 2022 Survey Instructions and Preparation Checklist and complete the worksheet BEFORE opening the Survey. Download Now.
- Are you ready to complete the Survey?
2020 Vermont Nonprofit Wages & Benefits Report
Why Purchase the Report?
- Talent Matters: People power our missions and to attract and retain talent nonprofits need to set competitive wages and benefits.
- Reliable + Relevant: Nonprofits must justify organizational compensation to their boards, the IRS, and the general public. This tool is the most relevant source of information available to help Vermont nonprofits develop a competitive compensation strategy AND comply with IRS regulations requiring nonprofit boards to document their process for setting executive compensation.
- Vital Sector Trends: Timely information about nonprofit staffing and compensation is perhaps more important than ever. This year, the survey will collect important data about the impacts of the pandemic on nonprofit staffing, wages and benefits, as well as look at executive director wages by race, gender and experience.
How much does the Report Cost?
The cost for the 2020 Digital Report is $125 for non-participants of the survey. The Survey is conducted every two years and participants of the Survey receive the Report for free. The 2022 Report will be available late Fall or early Winter of 2022.