Nonprofit Wages & Benefits Survey & Report of Northern New England: Vermont Edition
Hiring and retaining great workers is one of the biggest challenges we face as nonprofits. That’s why Common Good Vermont partners with NH Center for Nonprofits and Maine Association of Nonprofits to collect the latest data on wages and benefits from our tri-state area. Each state produces a state-specific report on Wages and Benefits based on the data collected in this survey.
The Report tells an important and deeply informative story about the health and viability of our sector including best practices to help you make decisions in your organization. This year’s survey includes additional COVID-19 questions to help assess the short-term impacts of COVID-19.
While we do not know the full impact of COVID-19 on the nonprofit sector, early data suggests that employment has changed dramatically in the short-term. As demand for nonprofit services increases, recent data from Johns Hopkins 2020 Nonprofit Employment Report projects that 1.6 million nonprofit jobs (13%) nationally have been lost between March and May of this year.
In Vermont, our nonprofit sector employs about 69,000 jobs which translates to 1 in 7 workers. We contribute about $5.7 billion per year to the economy through wages paid, retail and wholesale purchases and professional service contracts. Understanding how our sector is changing as a result of COVID-19 is an essential step in planning for what comes next for nonprofits and our communities.
Participate in the 2020 Survey:
All participants must read the 2020 Survey Instructions and Preparation Checklist BEFORE starting the Survey.
- Talent Matters: People power our missions and to attract and retain talent nonprofits need to set competitive wages and benefits.
- Reliable + Relevant: Nonprofits must justify organizational compensation to their boards, the IRS, and the general public. This tool is the most relevant source of information available to help Vermont nonprofits develop a competitive compensation strategy AND comply with IRS regulations requiring nonprofit boards to document their process for setting executive compensation.
- We’re Stronger Together: The more organizations that participate, the more relevant and statistically significant data available to ensure we all can develop fair, competitive compensation.
- Vital Sector Trends: Timely information about nonprofit staffing and compensation is perhaps more important than ever. This year, the survey will collect important data about the impacts of the pandemic on nonprofit staffing, wages and benefits, as well as look at executive director wages by race, gender and experience.
- We Reward Your Time: We know nonprofit staff and volunteers are busy people, so all participating organizations receive free access to Vermont’s final 2020 Report this Fall. The final Report will be available for purchase for $125 to those who have not participated in the Survey.
Take the 2020 Survey
- Determine who is the right person from your organization to respond to the survey. Each organization should only participate once, so please coordinate internally about the best person to complete the survey on behalf of your organization. You will be asked for the organization’s EIN to prevent accidental duplication.
- Download the 2020 Survey Instructions and Preparation Checklist and gather your data. Preparation time will vary based on the size of your organization.
- Complete the survey by August 21. Assuming you have gathered all the necessary information ahead of time, it should take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete the survey itself. How long it takes to gather the data will vary depending on the budget and number of employees at your organization, and can take up to 3 hours for very large organizations. We strongly encourage you to use the preparations and instructions document to identify and gather the relevant information before proceeding to the questionnaire.
Special Thanks to Our Sponsors & Marketing Partners:
Email Director@commongoodvt.org for 2020 sponsorship opportunities.
Purchase the 2018 Report:
The 2018 edition of the Report on Nonprofit Wages & Benefits is still available for purchase for $50. The cost for the 2020 Report will be $125 for non-participants.
2020 participating organizations receive a free copy or BOTH Reports!
Read the Survey Instructions to learn more.