Website Pride Center of Vermont
Transgender Program Coordinator & SafeSpace Anti-Violence Advocate
Job Type: F/T Position (40 hours/week)
Benefits: Platinum Health Insurance, Dental Coverage, and Generous Allotment of Time Off
Reports To: Director of SafeSpace Anti-Violence Program
Compensation: $41,000 plus comprehensive health and dental.
The Transgender Program Coordinator & SafeSpace Anti-Violence Advocate is responsible for coordinating programs and individual support for transgender and gender non-conforming Vermonters and providing direct service (emotional support, advocacy, and referrals) to LGBTQ+ survivors of violence, bias, and/or discrimination, with a special focus on transgender survivors. PCVT is looking for an energetic, team-oriented, tech-savvy, anti-oppression-minded individual with an attention to detail and background in implementing organizational systems. Must be available to work a flexible schedule as needed.
Transgender Program Coordinator Primary Functions:
- Provide opportunities for community and connection among transgender and non-binary Vermonters.
- Facilitate access to resources specific to transgender and non-binary people (e.g.: connecting to medical and legal resources, safe and affirming employment, etc.).
- Help improve Vermont’s overall access and services for transgender and non-binary people.
- Help strengthen connection between community members and access to resources, support, and leadership opportunities through outreach, education, and engagement.
- Coordinate and facilitate support groups and social events.
Provide advocacy, information, and referrals for trans- and gender-affirming care.
- Stay up-to-date on medical and legal best practices for supporting transgender and nonbinary communities.
- Oversee PCVT’s Transpire Trans Community Action Planning Committee.
- Support and amplify trans initiatives and events throughout Vermont, including Transgender Day of Rememberance and Transgender Day of Visiblility.
SafeSpace Anti-Violence Advocate Primary Functions:
- Provide direct service (emotional support, advocacy, and referrals) to LGBTQ+ and HIV-affected survivors of intimate partner and sexual violence, harm, bias, and/or discrimination, with a special focus on transgender survivors, by offering individual and group support, advocacy, information, referrals, and accompaniment.
- Share responsibility with the rest of the SafeSpace team in day-to-day functioning of the SafeSpace support-line and direct service programs.
- Educate and advocate for the needs of trans and gender nonconforming victims of crime and harm.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is part of the SafeSpace team that provides individual and group support, advocacy, information, referrals, accompaniment, crisis intervention, and intakes for clients. These duties include:
· Participate in at least 20+ hours of basic advocacy training to acquire Vermont Victim and Crisis Worker Privilege as a domestic and sexual violence victim advocate.
· Ongoing professional development to support LGBTQ+ survivors of abuse, violence, and harm both within and outside systems.
· Take regular on-call support line shifts during PCVT business hours.
· Diligent and meticulous documentation in our confidential database of all client-related support.
This position is a member of the PCVT Education Committee and will co-facilitate workshops and trainings in accordance with grant requirements and community needs. These duties include:
· Utilize, update, facilitate, and present intersectional workshops and trainings including LGBTQ+ Best Practices and Supporting LGBTQ+ Survivors.
· Provide training and technical assistance to organizations and agencies across Vermont.
· Continually update learning opportunities and materials to reflect and address current language, climate and events.
· Participate in relevant meetings with community partners.
· Collaborate with community partners to broaden the reach of the SafeSpace and Trans Programs.
· Work with the SafeSpace team to establish and foster collaborative relationships with agencies and organizations.
· Implement workshops/events/gatherings to bring people together and offer education, healing and social connection for the LGBTQ+ community.
This position supports PCVT in keeping the SafeSpace and Trans Programs in accordance with grant requirements and maintaining a sustainable workplace for fellow staff. These duties include:
· Participate in SafeSpace Program team meetings and PCVT all-staff meetings.
· Contribute to state and national reports along with PCVT internal monthly reports.
· With other staff: manage volunteer recruitment, placement, and development.
Other duties as assigned
Preferred Qualities and Skills:
- Experience working as an advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sexual violence, and/or hate violence.
- Experience and/or interest in working with and for the transgender community and Vermont LGBQ+ communities.
- Exceptional time management skills and follow-through, in addition to emotional self-awareness, compassion, healthy sense of humor, commitment to work/life balance, and a desire to be on a team that takes care of one another.
- Previous experience with program development, restorative and/or transformative justice, conflict mediation, and group facilitation.
- Working knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Word.
Ability to balance multiple projects at once, problem-solve, prioritize, and effectively maintain boundaries.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and anti-oppression work is required.
- Valid driver’s license for statewide travel.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, August 6th.
Pride Center of Vermont values the leadership of People of color and LGBTQ+ individuals, and strongly encourages people of all traditionally underrepresented identities to apply.
No applicant will be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org