Website Himalayan Cataract Project
TITLE: Staff Accountant
LOCATION: Norwich or Waterbury, Vermont (preference for Norwich)
The Himalayan Cataract Project (HCP) works to cure needless blindness with high quality, cost effective eye care in underserved areas of the world. Thirty-six million people are blind worldwide, yet 80% of this burden is treatable or preventable. Cataract is the largest cause of blindness affecting 17 million people, who could be cured with a 10-minute, $25 surgery. HCP is keenly focused on enduring solutions to avoidable blindness for under-resourced people and communities, not only providing critical care but strengthening local capacity to provide high-quality eye care to the underserved. HCP has offices in Vermont and in the Washington, DC metro area, with programs in 7 countries on 2 different continents and an estimated 75 implementing partners.
Himalayan Cataract Project is expanding its team to meet new challenges, scale its work, and broaden its reach. We are seeking individuals with an aptitude for operating in growth environments with interest and/or experience in scaling systems.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for aspects of accounts payable and accounts receivable. Responsibilities will include making accounting entries for donated funds received through various mechanisms, processing routine payables, reconciling accounting entries with the development team, and coordinating and processing the coding of monthly credit card charges across the organization. The Staff Accountant will work in close collaboration with the Financial Controller and the Director of Finance to ensure that HCP is adhering to our policies and procedures to conduct seamless audits.
The Staff Accountant will have daily interactions with staff from all departments and be called upon to be a supportive resource for all teams. Candidate must display improvisation and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment and ability to work under tight timelines with multiple priorities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Review and process receivables and payables while ensuring complete and proper backup documentation is included.
• Process general ledger entries. This includes (but is not limited to) paying and entering bills, expense allocations, cost distributions, adjustments and revenue recognition.
• Process receivables related to donations and gifts for both unrestricted and restricted funding.
• Maintain and communicate accounting policies and procedures.
• Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue and costs. Assist in the development and strengthening of internal controls.
• Contribute to refinement of the accounting policy and procedure manual and act as an internal expert on their application throughout relevant parts of the organization.
• Support annual audit activity through the collection and organization of requested samples.
• Perform periodic reviews of sub-recipients and complete risk assessments to inform partner agreements.
• Perform review of procurement related documentation for policy compliance.
All employees are expected to work as a team and to contribute to any activity that could promote the success of the organization.
The Staff Accountant will ideally come to HCP with at least three years’ experience with bookkeeping, preferably with a nonprofit organization and development and monitoring of strong financial controls.
The Staff Accountant will have the following experience and attributes:
• Accounting & Finance Management:
o Three + years of demonstrated experience in a dedicated financial accounting capacity
o Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting
o Experience with complex nonprofit accounting and federally funded programs highly desired
o First-hand experience with procurement payments based on thresholds
o Demonstrated knowledge and experience applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
o Strong communication, professional presence, personal initiative, and diplomatic inter- personal skills
o Ability to remain highly organized with a strong attention to detail
o Analytical, detail-oriented, of the highest integrity, and possessing sound judgment
• Technology: Demonstrated experience and familiarity working with Quickbooks strongly preferred. Demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Excel including advanced formulas and spreadsheet formatting and skills in word-processing required. Experience in at least some of the following tools and systems currently in use: Google Drive, Dropbox, SmartSheet, and/or DocuSign.
• Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to improve systems and procedures in a
rapidly scaling organization.
• Communications: Success seeing beyond the numbers and able to communicate accounting issues in terms that non-accounting staff can understand.
• Collaboration and Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally to reach common goals and objectives.
• Team Approach: Demonstrated ability to find solutions that balance accounting department requirements with competing priorities and demands of individuals across an organization.
WORKING WITH HCP:
Himalayan Cataract Project is a high-energy and fast-paced organization. We work to change eye care in the developing world with a firm commitment to eradicating unnecessary blindness and reaching the unreachable patient. We are a small team where everyone plays an important role and has an impact. We hire individuals who are professional, collaborative and creative thinkers with passion for our mission.
We invite qualified candidates to submit a resume and cover letter. Please send materials via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Himalayan Cataract Project considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.