Client: Committee on Temporary Shelter (COTS)
Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: Burlington, Vermont
The Committee on Temporary Shelter (COTS) advocates for long-term solutions to end homelessness and provides emergency shelter, services, and long-term housing for Vermonters who are experiencing homelessness or are marginally housed. COTS operates the largest homeless prevention initiative in Vermont and has won national best practice and innovation awards for the successful outcomes of its programs. We believe in the value and dignity of every human life; that housing is a fundamental human right; and that emergency shelter is not the solution to homelessness.
COTS Executive Director works collaboratively with an active Board of Directors to articulate the agency’s vision and to develop strategies for fulfilling its mission. This position is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, finances, and strategic planning for COTS. In addition, the Executive Director works with a committed staff and community partners to provide the highest quality of services and housing to people who are without homes or at risk of losing their housing.
COTS is searching for an individual who will continue to seek innovative approaches to addressing homelessness, with a focus on prevention, and who can create models that can be replicated in other communities.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Lead the Board and staff in developing and monitoring COTS’ long-range strategic plan.
- Manage and develop five directors who are responsible for Programs, Facilities, Development, Finance, and Human Resources.
- Function as counsel and trusted adviser of colleagues, Board of Directors, and staff.
- Partner with the Board of Directors and staff to implement COTS’ mission.
- Ensure a formal means of accountability for program and administrative services.
- Monitor the agency’s outcomes and identify challenges and opportunities to the Board and staff.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with community partners (e.g., those providing funding or services to COTS’ clients).
- Seek collaborative arrangements to provide more efficient and better integrated services
- Ensure accurate information is provided to the public about programs and the needs of the homeless.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the agency and advocate broadly for solutions to end homelessness.
- Oversee the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets; regularly monitoring revenue and expense trends.
- Manage the efficient use of agency resources while maintaining high quality services to clients.
- Develop for the Board three-year financial projections, and long-range fiscal strategies.
- Maintain and improve COTS support from foundations, private donors, businesses, and public sources.
- Cultivate new grants, contracts, and other sources of revenue for operational and capital purposes.
- Support the Development Committee’s plans for achieving annual revenue goals.
- Manage the recruiting and hiring of highly qualified staff.
- Assure training, development, and evaluation of staff for the agency.
- Promote an environment that encourages innovation and collaboration, while maintaining a supportive work culture for staff, paying attention to morale and personal and professional growth.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Administration, Social Work, or other appropriate discipline (Masters preferred) and/or five to seven years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to influence change and drive organizations forward with collaboration from Board of Directors and staff.
- Experience with capital project planning and budgeting.
- Ability to work independently and as an active member of a collaborative team.
- Ability to demonstrate an alignment and passion for COTS mission.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that can demonstrate their ability to be an innovative thinker.
Gallagher, Flynn, & Company, LLP has been retained to conduct this search. Interested candidates may apply by sending a resume and cover letter to Shane Capron, Director of Talent Acquisition at [email protected]. While we appreciate all interest in this exciting opportunity, only candidates most closely aligned with our search will be contacted.
Disclaimer: What is listed above is representative of the position’s responsibilities but is not meant to be an exhaustive list. Responsibilities may change during employment at the company’s discretion. Gallagher, Flynn & Company, LLP, and our client do not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com