Website Henry Sheldon Museum of Vermont History
Visitor Services Coordinator
Henry Sheldon Museum of Vermont History, Middlebury, VT
The Henry Sheldon Museum seeks a hands-on Visitor Services Coordinator to join its dynamic team. Reporting to the Business Operations Manager, the Visitor Services Coordinator ensures the delivery of high-quality visitor services, manages the store and coordinates events, in accordance with the mission of a small active cultural community museum in the vibrant college town of Middlebury, Vermont. https://www.henrysheldonmuseum.org/
The Visitor Services Coordinator will provide front-of-house leadership and operational support, ensuring an exceptional visitor experience and smooth event and retail operations.
Employment type: This is a 60% Full-Time Equivalent (24 hours/week) hourly position with paid time off and holidays. Saturday workday may be required when the Museum is open.
Salary Range: Salary $23,000-$26,000, commensurate with experience and proven record of success.
Education: BA, and experience in field related to museum studies, retail, customer service, communications, marketing; or a combination of education and experience.
Skills & Experience
• 3-5 years customer service experience in retail or a cultural institution setting
• 3-5 years in a supervisory role, experience training and supervising volunteers preferred
• Computer proficiency, and ability to learn new software quickly
• Outgoing, upbeat personality; enjoys interacting with the public
• Must be comfortable and confident speaking in front of large groups
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; multi-tasker
• Critical analytical skills and ability to think on one’s feet
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of basic retail accounting and reporting procedures
• Must be able to take direction and work independently, and as part of a team
• Self-starter with natural aptitude for leadership
• History, Art History and/or Museum Studies background a plus
Responsibilities & Duties
– Visitors Services
· Work with Business Operations Manager to supervise, train and schedule part-time Welcome Desk and Visitor Services volunteers
· Monitor public spaces, respond to visitor questions and implement visitor guidelines
· With Business Operations Manager, responsible for Museum signage.
· Open/close museum; be first to respond to problems faced by frontline staff
· Serve as the primary point person for group reservations, scheduling, and arrivals
· Answer phones and handle general inquiries
· Provide staff support at the Welcome Desk and in the Museum Store, and assisting with sales at the POS, as needed
· Greet and help orient museum visitors alongside staff and volunteers
· Implement and help shape Visitor Services policies and procedures
· Ensure Visitor Services and Museum Store areas are clean, orderly and visually appealing as needed
· Be knowledgeable of, and actively promote, the museum’s membership programs, exhibits, events and programming
· Track attendance, visitor comments, and provide regular feedback to staff
· Help facilitate visitor surveys and evaluations as needed
– Museum Store Management
· Responsible for all tasks associated with the Museum Store, including managing store inventory, ordering, labeling merchandise with correct codes, managing consignment sales, unpacking and receiving shipments, merchandise display and inventory replenishment
· Generate a visually appealing display of store items, and ensure store and welcome areas are clean and orderly
· Generate creative and effective store advertising on social media
· Coordinate store volunteers
· Process online store orders and fulfillment
· Ensure high functionality of point-of-sale system and work with vendor to troubleshoot as needed
· Process sales and reconcile cash drawer at end of day; prepare daily reports and deposits for Bookkeeper/Business Operations Manager
· Supply cash drawers, set-up Welcome Desk and restock Museum Store at beginning of each day as needed
· Manage Eventbrite scheduling system
· With Business Operations Manager, manage advertising/marketing for events across all appropriate media channels including press releases, website, social media, museum mailings, annual reports, museum store offerings, posters, print/radio advertising, etc.
· Coordinate and manage ticket sales for events
· Partner with staff and trustees regarding logistics for events, including ordering equipment and supplies, scheduling staff and volunteers, arranging for set up
· May attend board meetings and participate in topical committees with trustees, community members, and/or other Museum staff; as well as participate in Museum events, which may occur on evenings and weekends.
Interested candidates please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to [email protected] or mail hard copy to: Henry Sheldon Museum, Visitor Services Coordinator Search Committee, One Park Street, Middlebury, VT 05753. All materials will be confidential and references will not be contacted without advance permission. No phone calls please. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work and learning environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
The Henry Sheldon Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com