Website Shelburne Farms
Position Title: Facilities Assistant Manager
Supervisor: Buildings and Grounds Manager
Supervises: Facilities support staff
Employee Status: Year-round, full time / salary
Location: In-person, Shelburne, VT
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 7am-3:30pm with on-call evening/weekend hours
Salary Range: $35,000 – $40,000 (With on-site housing)
Who We Are
Shelburne Farms is an education nonprofit on a mission to inspire and cultivate learning for a sustainable future. We offer transformative learning experiences to help educators and students create a better world. Our home campus is a 1,400-acre working farm located on the traditional, unceded homelands—Ndakinna—of the Winooskik band of the Abenaki.
What We Do
Engage youth and people of all ages in learning experiences that inspire them to build just, diverse, resilient, caring communities.
Steward our working lands and heritage buildings as we embody values of place and community through caring for and sharing our natural, agricultural, cultural, and human resources.
Collaborate with educators and other local, national, and international partners to advance education for sustainability worldwide
Commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Shelburne Farms recognizes that justice, equity, and access are central to sustainability. We are committed to translating these values into action across the organization by improving equitable outcomes in our culture, programs, and services. Shelburne Farms is working to create experiences of belonging for all, including BIPOC, LGBTQ+ communities, people with disabilities, and people of all economic realities. We are passionate about building and sustaining a diverse and welcoming working and learning environment for all program participants, guests, and staff.
Who We’re Looking for
Someone who is excited by the growth opportunity to learn about all aspects of maintaining a large, complex campus supporting learning for a sustainable future.
With guidance from the B&G Manager, you’ll perform diversified duties to troubleshoot, improve, repair, protect, and maintain campus facilities and equipment.
What You’ll Do
A priority for this position is to gain a working understanding of all facility operating systems in order to build the capacity of the Buildings and Grounds team and to be able to cover key responsibilities in the absence of the Buildings and Grounds Manager. Key operating systems to learn include:
- Monitoring and maintaining building safety and fire protection systems
- Plumbing systems, including seasonal opening and closing of the Inn and other facilities
- Electrical, and mechanical systems, including heating and cooling systems
- Potable water and wastewater systems
This position will also work closely with the Buildings and Grounds Manager and team and other departments, including the Inn, on maintaining facilities and supporting general campus operations, programs, and services including:
- Buildings repairs, maintenance and janitorial services
- Building operations and guest service support at the Inn and other residential facilities
- Facilities and operations improvements to support climate action plan
- Snow plowing, shoveling and road sanding
- Meter readings
- Garbage, recycling, and compost chore systems
- Accident prevention and safety support for guests, residents, and staff
- Events setup and breakdown, and parking
Core Qualifications (All candidates must meet these qualifications to be considered for the position)
- Relevant education and work experience in mechanical, electrical, plumbing, H.V.AC., and building trades
- Able to work independently as needed
- Valid Vermont drivers license in good standing
- Computer and internet proficiency to include Google Drive and Gmail
- Able to work longer weeks during peak demand periods and flexible to work evenings, weekends, holidays
Additional Valued Qualifications (Helpful for success in this role, but not required to apply)
- Certifications: Vermont Class 2 Water System and Grade 1DM Wastewater Operator (We will provide you with time and resources to obtain this certification if you do not already have it). Additional certifications such as a Journeyman Plumber, Electrical, or HVAC License are helpful but not required for this role.
- Mission-aligned: You are excited to be part of the Shelburne Farms’ mission to inspire and cultivate learning for a sustainable future and you understand how important your role is for advancing the Farm’s mission.
- Comfortable with technology: You can learn and navigate new technologies.
- Inclusive Team Member and Leader: You lead by doing and enjoy being part of a team working toward shared goals. You enjoy working with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Communicator: You are curious, a clear communicator, and feel comfortable sharing information without judgment and focusing on the opportunity to learn and engage. You also seek feedback from others to learn how you can better support those around you.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to work in outdoors under all weather conditions
- Able to move over uneven terrain
- Able to climb a ladder up to 8 feet
- Able to lift 75 lbs
- Able to work with and around large farm animals
- Medical coverage for employees and their families
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Account for medical and dependent care expenses
- Voluntary Dental and Vision insurance
- Paid long term disability and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Discounts on farm products, services and CSA farmshare
Please submit a resume and response to the question listed below to our hiring team at [email protected] with “Facilities Assistant Manager” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please include the response to the following question:
- Tell us why you’re passionate about working at Shelburne Farms.
- After reading about Shelburne Farms and our Equity statement, briefly address how your experiences, values, and/or efforts demonstrate your commitment to the values of diversity, justice, and equity?
- How did you hear about the position?
All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential.
Shelburne Farms is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and lived experiences are strongly encouraged to apply. The duties and responsibilities described herein are not intended to be a complete and comprehensive list; additional tasks may be assigned to this position from time to time, and the scope of the position may change based on operational demands.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com