Website Vermont Center for Ecostudies
Vermont Center for Ecostudies – Development Assistant
The Vermont Center for Ecostudies (VCE) advances wildlife conservation in New England and across the Americas through a combination of scientific research and community engagement. Our work includes conducting research and long-term monitoring projects on a variety of species, from birds to salamanders, butterflies, and bees, and delivering our results to inform management decisions and policies that affect these animals. We work with many partners, from New England and Canada to the tropical locations where New England’s migratory species overwinter, and engage thousands of volunteers (“community scientists”) who participate in our work through data collection and monitoring. Our work is funded by a combination of grants, contracts, and contributions. Our office is in White River Junction, Vermont.
The Development Assistant plays a central role in our continuously growing philanthropy program. The Development Assistant is primarily responsible for managing our constituent database (Little Green Light), entering and acknowledging gifts and pledges, supporting three major fundraising appeals each year along with a current strategic fundraising campaign, supporting communications activities, and monthly reporting from the database. The position requires careful attention to detail, strong organization skills, and the ability to handle multiple synchronous projects.
- Manage all aspects of the donor database, Little Green Light, with a focus on accuracy and consistency, including but not limited to:
- timely gift entry, acknowledgment preparation, and reporting for approximately $1 million in annual fund gifts and grants, as well as campaign pledges and gifts;
- data uploads of volunteers, program attendees, event attendees, appeal status, communication updates, contact reports, mailings, and donor research;
- maintenance and development of database protocols, including enabling new features as needed to provide more detailed gift and goal information;
- appeal, appeal segmentation, and mailing set up and recording;
- query and report creation to provide analysis of donor trends, demographics, volunteer information, etc. in collaboration with the development, finance, and communications teams;
- proactive updates to donor contact, research, and other information; and
- donor/funder list generation for the annual report.
- Receive and deposit gifts following specific protocols for documenting gifts and recording bank deposits.
- Reconcile donations with finance’s records monthly using Microsoft Excel. Complete annual gift reconciliation and assist with gift documentation for biennial audits.
- Collaborate with the development and communications teams to carry out three to four major appeals per year, facilitating all in-house appeal mailings. Organize and carry out other, smaller mailings periodically throughout the year.
- Provide general development support. Conduct some standard research using Wealth Engine and other sources, and update the database accordingly.
- Manage Constant Contact database and reconcile both individual contacts’ information and email lists with the donor database system. Create email lists as needed for appeals and events. Manage new subscribers, unsubscribes, and bounced emails to ensure VCE maintains a positive email deliverability in Constant Contact.
- Assist in organization of special events for staff, Board, and donors. Enter program and event attendees into the development database. Attend events as needed. Support staff who conduct programs or events by assisting with informational materials and post-event mailings.
- Assist with other duties as assigned. VCE is a small and constantly-evolving organization with ambitious goals for growth. A willingness to contribute your unique skills and talents to projects and initiatives beyond your stated job description will be necessary at times.
- Two years’ recent experience with database management (a fundraising database like Little Green Light or Raiser’s Edge is ideal), data entry, gift acceptance and acknowledgement, appeals, and assisting with fundraising activities, or equivalent administrative experience
- Passion for VCE’s mission, projects, and our approach to biodiversity research and conservation
- Demonstrated success and comfort with learning and fully utilizing software and technology, organization and administrative systems, and the ability to quickly become proficient in VCE’s development systems and databases
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word and Excel, and internet search engines
- Meticulous attention to detail with an eye for consistency and accuracy
- Ability to follow and create efficient, replicable processes and protocols
- Capacity to recognize and maintain confidential donor and gift information
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Comfort with juggling multiple tasks and/or projects efficiently and completing them in a timely, high-quality manner while shifting focus rapidly if new priorities emerge
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), non-exempt, benefits-eligible position that begins ASAP. Benefits include paid time off, health and dental insurance, and a 403(b) retirement plan. The position will report to the Development Director. This position works out of our White River Junction office; some remote work each week is possible. The pay rate will be between $17-$19/hour, depending on experience.
Located across the river from Dartmouth College in the vibrant community of White River Junction, our staff is committed to creating a workplace culture that respects and celebrates diversity, and values the wellbeing of all employees. We accomplish this by offering flexibility within the workday to help foster a healthy work-life balance.
Please send a cover letter and resume as PDF attachments via email to Laura Prothero ([email protected]). Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis through June 22, 2022.
To apply for this job please visit vtecostudies.org.