Website Vermont Flight Academy
We are seeking a motivated leader to build upon VFA’s success and 10-year history of supporting General Aviation.
Vermont Flight Academy (VFA) is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization located at the Burlington International Airport in South Burlington, Vermont. VFA was founded to promote general aviation and provide high-quality flight instruction. We specialize in training business and leisure pilots as well as career aviators through our partnership with Vermont Tech.
The role of the Executive Director is to lead Vermont Flight Academy, the leading flight school in Vermont. Based at the Burlington, VT airport (KBTV,) the Executive Director is responsible for all day-to-day operations, which includes ensuring safety, providing leadership to staff, interacting with customers and partners, developing business plans and budgets, and making sure flight operations, maintenance, and administrative teams are performing at or above determined performance expectations. In addition to the day-to-day responsibilities, the Executive Director has the responsibility to drive long-term improvement of VFA consistent with the strategic plan. The Executive Director is accountable to the President of the BOD and reports to the BOD on a regular basis – monthly, quarterly, semiannually, annually, or as requested by the BOD. The BOD may offer suggestions and ideas about how to improve the organization, and the Executive Director will formulate plans and how to implement these ideas.
The Executive Director position is a key leadership role for VFA. The Executive Director will motivate and mentor members, volunteers, and key staff. The Executive Director leads the organization and is responsible to develop its positive organizational culture that drives safety and performance.
As the title suggests, the Executive Director is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on in the organization. This includes recruiting and developing staff, evaluation and retention of staff, budget, company assets, and all other company resources, to help make the best use of them and raise the organization’s financial stability and profile.
The following are minimum required Qualifications:
· Five-years minimum previous management/leadership experience.
· Education: Bachelors required; MBA preferred.
· Ability to promote a positive team atmosphere and mentor.
· Ability to promote safety in a “Just Culture” atmosphere.
· Financial experience. Ability to create and manage operating budgets.
· Strong demonstrated leadership skills with professionalism. Unquestioned ethics and values.
· Past organizational traits to enhance corporate record keeping and documentation of all job descriptions.
Performance Measures and Expectations:
· Provides leadership and manages all day-to-day operations of the VFA. Mentors and delegates authority effectively.
· Ensures safety is VFA’s highest priority.
· Reports to the Board of Directors (BOD).
· Abides by the articles of incorporation, bylaws and policy of VFA.
· Attends VFA Board meetings.
· Is responsible for the financial management of VFA. Prepares and presents both operating and capital budgets to the BOD.
· Negotiates and manages leases and contracts on behalf of VFA.
· Prepares statement of leases and contracts for BOD review.
· Prepares loans and aircraft acquisitions for BOD approval.
· Consults and works closely with VFA BOD with regard to new direction and/or programs and seeks VFA BOD approval.
· Provides leadership and assists with all fundraising efforts.
· Informs and presents all HR issues with key staff to the BOD.
· Responsible for developing recommendations to the BOD for approval of decisions regarding raises/benefits/promotions/job description changes/key position hiring of non-flight employees. Key positions are defined as the top tier of the organizational chart.
· Prepares and updates organizational chart and keeps BOD informed of changes.
· Provides leadership and manages key positions identified on the organizational chart, including Office Administrator, Chief Flight Instructor, and Maintenance Manager.
· Develops and maintains job descriptions for each key employee.
· Protects and enhances corporate knowledge with policy, manuals, flow charts and other. Maintains policy, manuals and flow charts. Complies with all VFA policies adopted by the BOD.
· All other duties and projects assigned by the BOD.
· The position of Executive Director is an “at will” position at Vermont Flight Academy, (VFA).
Benefits (Specific to this Offer):
· Health Care Stipend: $5,050.00 max yearly paid in bi-weekly installments or coverage under VFA’s healthcare policy (employee cost would be calculated upon launch of the program).
· 401k Retirement Plan: 1 year of service requirement before eligible. Company match.
· Time Off: Based on Experience
Apply by sending an email including a resume and cover letter to Tyler@flyvfa.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org