CNBC recently recognized Vermont as the best place to live in the United States–due in large part to the vital work of Vermont’s nonprofits. Affordable housing, great schools, quality health care, and a clean environment are largely driven by our state’s social sector. Representing 20% of Vermont’s economy, our nonprofits merit a closer look.
Because nonprofits are often mistaken as not having a role in our economy, we were interested to read Seven Days newspaper’s recent “Give and Take” Series. While the series seems pre-occupied with the compensation of nonprofit leaders and raises perennial questions about accountability, there are a few articles we’d like to draw to your attention that point to fundamental trends of funding, succession, and collaborations.
- What is the Future of Vermont Philanthropy?
- Search and Replace: Hiring New Nonprofit Leaders Isn’t Easy
- Does Vermont Have Too Many Nonprofits?
If you’d like to know more about nonprofit organizations than simply the salaries of the top executives, take a look at Common Good Vermont’s analysis of the IRS data here in our interactive report.
Have you had a chance to read the series? What do you think? We have included links to each article below and would greatly appreciate hearing your response.
Links to Seven Days Articles
- How Vermont’s Nonprofit Sector Became a $6.8 Billion Industry Paul Heintz
- Some of Vermont’s Highest-Paid Execs Run Nonprofits Paul Heintz
- Why Are Fraternities and Sororities Exempt from Federal Taxes? Katie Jickling
- So You Want to Start a Nonprofit? Here’s What It Takes Katie Jickling
- These Vermont Gubernatorial Candidates Have Nonprofit Roots Paul Heintz
- The Olde Northender Isn’t Just a Pub — It’s a Nonprofit, Too Katie Jickling
- Burlington Boosts Funding for Social-Service Nonprofits Katie Jickling
- Why Vermont Nonprofits Lobby the Legislature That Funds Them Alicia Freese
- Too Big to Measure? Inside Vermont’s Nonprofit Shadow Government Alicia Freese
- Vermont Charities Take a Chance on Break-Open Tickets Matthew Roy
- Seven Days Releases Database Driving Its Series on Vermont’s Nonprofit Economy
- Seven Days Launches Vermont Nonprofit Navigator Database
- Does Vermont Have Too Many Nonprofits? Molly Walsh
- Professional Fundraisers Keep a Large Cut of the Cash They Bring In for Nonprofits Taylor Dobbs
- The Champlain Valley Fair Is a Rite of Summer — and a Nonprofit Katie Jickling
- Is Anyone Watching Vermont’s 6,000-Plus Charitable Organizations? PAUL HEINTZ
- Nonprofit News: The Rise of Vermont Public Media by Paul Heintz | July 11, 2018
- Meet the ‘Frequent Fliers’ of Vermont’s Nonprofit Boards By MOLLY WALSH
- Some Vermont Nonprofits Loan Money to Employees and Board Members By SASHA GOLDSTEIN
- BCBS Collects Millions From Vermonters Each Month. It’s Also a Nonprofit By TAYLOR DOBBS
- Massachusetts Republican John Kingston Runs a Christian Retreat in Vermont By TAYLOR DOBBS
- What’s the Future of Vermont Philanthropy? By PAUL HEINTZ
- Vermont Cops Partner with Nonprofits to Fight Sex Crimes By ALICIA FREESE
- Search and Replace: Hiring New Nonprofit Leaders Isn’t Easy By MOLLY WALSH
- How a Vermont Fly-Fishing Museum’s Lawsuit Changed the Definition of a Nonprofit By KATIE JICKLING